Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Slopes


July 6. 8:00 pm

This northern Sierra landscape is absolutely beautiful. I find myself saying "wow" dozens of times each day as I see things I've never seen before. The mountains are jagged and huge, remnants of volcanos years ago. We cross "passes" which are low points between two mountains, but usually we have to climb UP to reach them.

Passes have come to cause me much trepidation as we approach. While the southern side that we climb is green and blooming with wild flowers, the northern side that we go down more than likely has snow-covered slopes. The snow has been compacted and is quite hard and slick. If possible, I try to go around the big snow patches but today we came to one that was on a steep side hill. I was very scared to walk across the steep snow shoot relying on just the shelf-like footprints of hikers who went before. But with Garrett's help (we practiced on a not-so-steep section) and by not looking at the drop-off, we got across. I was so happy to have made it and conquered my fear.

For the last two nights we have battled ravenous mosquitos in camp. Tonight, though, we have a lovely campsite by a breezy lake. A nice ending to a long day. Lake Tahoe tomorrow!

Bluebird

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm really enjoying reading your entries. Glad that you are making out well. I am filled with nostalgia for the times I backpacked though the wilderness with its joys and pains. Seems so long ago... I appreciate having those memories triggered!

Unknown said...

We're happy that you are together, and that you can face the pains and aches and bugs. The mountains will reward you! Have a good time in South Tahoe. Love, Dad B