Thursday, June 25, 2009

Tehachapi and beyond

Monday. June 22, 8:00 pm

We had a great stay in the town of Tehachapi Saturday and Sunday morning. We efficiently got our chores done (laundry, pictures uploaded, calls to home, groceries) and still had plenty of time to rest. This was the first time on the trip that we had gotten a motel room (besides the Warner Springs room we shared with three other hikers).

On our way out of town we ran into our friend Billy who had hiked in a few days earlier. To our surprise he was now also wearing a sling. As it turns out he was borrowing a bike from Mama Hillybeans cafe and the chain snapped as he was riding. He fell off and injured some muscles in his forearm. Not a good year for hikers on bikes!

The hike out of Tehachapi includes a very long climb out of the windy pass. There are over 5000 windmills in this pass, the largest concentration in the world! As we climbed higher it got windier and windier. Our legs and bodies were aching from the struggle up the hill against the wind. I finally laid down right on the trail (the only flat spot) and tried to ignore the wind ripping above. Garrett soon joined me and we debated whether to continue. It was about 6 pm so we decided to push on to the next flat campsite. As soon as we rounded the next corner huge gusts of wind nearly pushed us off the trail. We grabbed onto one another and tried to take steps forward. It reminded me of fording those rushing rivers in Maine. As we tried to go forward the wind knocked me to my knees. Because of my hurt arm I wasn't able to get up. Garrett helped pull me up and we escaped back around the corner. Having witnessed winter winds on Mt.Washington, Garrett thinks that wind was blowing around 100 mph. It was not safe to continue and we retreated back down the mountain to flat ground and chapparel that blocked the wind. It was disappointing to have to come all the way back down the mountain we had worked so hard to climb. But at the same time we could barely stay on our feet until we got down. I scraped up my knee pretty good when I blew down but nothing too serious, thankfully.

This morning we climbed back up the mountain and the winds were MUCH calmer. Our packs are heavy as we try to go 140 miles to Kennedy Meadows and still carrying lots of water. We're very excited to see the transition out of the desert and into the the High Sierras in the next few days.

A special hello to my family gathered in NC for my grandparents' 60th wedding anniversary. We wish we could be with you!

bluebird

No comments: